Compiled by Doug Grant & Peter Smith
The authors recognize that it is far from complete, even as it stands. They would very much appreciate receiving any information or modifications that website visitors may be able to contribute.
Ala-Kantii / Liff Associates · Allan, George Alexander · Allaster, A . Stuart · Archibald, John S. · Bryan, Joseph · Burgess, Cecil Scott · Clow, Harold L. · Colizza, Vince · Cromarty, A.R. · D'Astous, Roger · Davidson, Arthur W. · Dillon, Benjamin · Drever & Smith · Fuller, Albert W. · Fuller, Thomas · Gray, William E. · Hancock & Townsend · Hay, William · Hazelwood, Richard · Holmes, William · Horsey, Henry H. · Howard, John G. · Hume, Thomas · Johnston, James P. · Jones, Chilion · Jones, Hugh Griffith · Liston, Owen Eugene · Maxwell, Edward · McLean, Arthur · Mill & Ross · Miller, George M. · Moffat, Moffat & Kinoshita · Olmsted Brothers · Page & Steele · Power & Son · Prus & Martin · Raine, Herbert · Roberts, Horace · Roberts, Tom · Steacy, John Sr. · Stefanison, S.A. · Todd, Frederick · Tully, Kivas · Wallace, Christopher W. · Warwick, John D. · Waters, Mackenzie
Architects, Ottawa. Office, 222 Somerset St. W.
|St. John Bosco Roman Catholic Church (1986), 175 Windsor Dr., Brockville. Vince Colizza*, partner in charge.|
|Architect,Brockville. Office, Fulford Building, 2-10 Court House Ave. (1888).
|Dunham Block (1892), 47, 49 King St. W. at Broad St., Brockville.|
|Cossitt Terrace (1894) 67–75 King St. E., Brockville. Owner Newton Cossitt.|
Architect, Brockville. Office, 77 King St. W.; home, 17 Granite St. W. (1921). Studied at École des Beaux-Arts, Paris. Came to Brockville from Detroit, MI, in 1910. Member OAA, RAIC.
Architect, Montreal. (b at Inverness, Scot 14 Dec 1872; d at Montréal 2 Mar 1934). He came to Canada in 1893 and was employed as supervising architect in the office of Edward MAXWELL in Montréal. From 1897 to 1915 he practised in partnership, and thereafter under his own name. He was known for his administrative ability and expertise in construction methods. He tried to promote economy in relation to architecture through a series of articles distributed across Canada. During the 1920s the CNR commissioned him to design large hotels across Canada from Halifax to Vancouver. In his best works in Montréal - Emmanuel Congregational Church, Montréal Technical School, Masonic Memorial Temple - Archibald adhered to the classical tradition of symmetry and monumental grandeur. He was president of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada 1924-25 and was elected a fellow in 1930.
|Manitonna Hotel (1929), 5 King Street E., Brockville.|
First professor of Architecture and resident University architect at the University of Alberta (1913-4. Before attending Heriot Wall College and the Edinburgh School of Art in Scotland, Burgess apprenticed with Sir George Washington Brown in Edinburgh (1887-91). Burgess’s career as an architect took him from London, Liverpool, and York (1891-1903) to McGill University in Montreal, where he was lecturer of architecture from 1903-13.
It was in 1913 that Burgess’s long affiliation with the University of Alberta began; he was appointed resident architect and professor of architecture, posts he held until he was named a Professor Emeritus in 1940.
Burgess made many lasting contributions to the University over the course of his long tenure. In addition to serving as a member of the Senate (1924-27, 1936-42), he served as construction supervisor of the Arts Building from 1913-15 and he later as construction supervisor for the plant pathology lab, the Medical Building, the South Wing, and the University Hospital.
Burgess proposed the design for the University of Alberta campus and designed Pembina Hall (1913-14), the Varsity Ring campus houses #5 through #11, the Soldier’s Civil Re-establishment Building, and the University farm buildings.
Burgess took military leave from the University of Alberta from 1917-19 and during that time, he was a private — then quartermaster — with the 66th Canadian Battalion. He was also captain of C Company with the 196th Universities Battalion and instructor of architecture at Khaki University in England.
Burgess, a highly respected member of the architecture community, served as a consulting architect for the Government of Alberta (1931-32), designing the Natural Resources Building in Edmonton; a federal government consultant (1940) for Banff and Jasper townships; a town planning consultant for the municipalities of Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, and Whitehorse; and a member of the City of Edmonton Planning Commission (1929-49).
In recognition of his many achievements in the fields of architecture and urban planning, Burgess was named a Fellow of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (1930) and of the Royal Institute of British Architects (1933). He was presented with an honorary Doctor of Laws degree (LLD honoris causa) from the University of Alberta in 1958. He is also the recipient of United Way recognition for lifetime contributions.
Burgess passed away in 1971 in Edmonton, Alberta, aged 101.
Architect, Brockville. Office, 9 Court House Ave. (1966).
|St. John Bosco Roman Catholic Church (1986), 175 Windsor Dr., Brockville.|
Architect, Cornwall, Ont., and Kingston, Ont.
Architect, Brockville. Office, 15 Court House Ave. (1935).
|Cowan’s Dairy Factory (ca 1929), 241 Park St., Brockville.|
|Brockville Pentecostal Tabernacle (1928), 61 Buell St., Brockville.|
Architect, Brockville. Office, Jones–Harding Building, 43 King St. W., Brockville; home, 101 James St. E. Trained in Kingston and articled with Arthur Ellis. Opened first architectural practice at Renfrew, Ont., in 1896. Came to Brockville in 1898.
Architect, Albany, NY. Called “dean” of architects at Albany. Author of large and influential portfolio of his own designs, Artistic Homes in City and Country (5 eds., 1882–1891). Practised institutional as well as domestic architecture, but was best known for the comfortable, technologically advanced houses in up-to-date styles that he created for wealthy clients in northeastern US. Only other known Canadian commission, design of YMCA building on St. James St., Montreal (1891).
Dominion Architect, Ottawa (b at Bath, Eng 8 Mar 1823; d at Ottawa 28 Sept 1898).
In 1857 Fuller left England to set up practice in Toronto with Chilion Jones. The firm, with Fuller responsible for design, specialized in Anglican church architecture in a Gothic revival style and won 2 important competitions, the first for the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa in 1859, and the second for the New York State Capitol in Albany in 1867. In 1881 Fuller was appointed Dominion chief architect and during his 15-year tenure supervised the design of over 140 buildings across the country.
Perhaps more than any other architect, he was responsible for defining the character of federal architecture in Canada. His small post offices, executed in a blend of Gothic and Romanesque forms and characterized by their picturesque massing, and accented by stone gables and tall clock towers, provided immediately recognizable symbols of the federal government and established a design that endured into the 1930s.
Brockville contractor/architect. Built coachman’s house, icehouse, and gardener’s house designed by A.W. Fuller* for Fulford Place; pattern-book greenhouses and furnace house; and rock garden and six-pool cascade water garden designed by F.G. Todd*.
Architects, Toronto. Principals: Herbert Hancock and Hamilton Townsend.
Trinity Anglican Church (1876–77), 20 Clarissa St. at George St., Brockville.
( b. May 1818 Scotland – d. Edinburgh, Scotland, May 1880)
Scottish architect, Assistant to London architect George Gilbert Scott.
Moved to Toronto in 1852 and left to return to Scotland in 1864. Worked on many church and church-related buildings. Designed Kingston branch of Commercial Bank and Toronto Hospital.
(Ellerton, Yorkshire, England, ca 1811–Ottawa, 4 March 1880)
Builder and architect, Brockville.
Known to have been active as builder and architect in town 1840–60, but no building of his has been certainly identified. Moved to Ottawa. Buried in Old Brockville Cemetery.
John George Howard, né John Corby, architect, surveyor, artist (b at Bengeo, Eng 27 July 1803; d at Toronto 3 Feb 1890). Emigrating from England in 1832, Howard enjoyed a successful career, primarily in Toronto, as an architect, surveyor and artist. He produced fine watercolours (many of which survive), was instrumental in organizing the Toronto Society of Artists in 1834, and was drawing master at Upper Canada College from 1833 to 1856. He received many contracts for street improvements following the incorporation of the city of Toronto in 1834 and was city surveyor 1843-55.
One of the busiest architects in the city, he was responsible for many private and public buildings. His most important commission was the Provincial Lunatic Asylum (1845-49, demolished 1976), but he is best remembered for bequeathing his estate, High Park, and his home, Colborne Lodge, to the city.
Architect, Kingston, Ont. Assisted father, Edward Horsey, a Kingston architect, on projects that included Frontenac County Court House (1855). Also designed Kingston’s Crystal Palace (1856).
District Surveyor and architect, Brockville.
Architect, Ottawa and Brockville. Partner of Thomas Fuller* at the time their firm won design competition for Canadian Parliament Buildings in Ottawa, 1859 (constructed 1859-66). Said to have had main responsibility for design of Parliamentary Library, the only portion of the old buildings to survive the great fire of 1916. Lived in Brockville and nearby Gananoque for a great part of his life.
No buildings identified in Brockville at this time.
Architect, Montreal. Wisconsin-born Assistant Chief Architect for CPR, and in this capacity one of main designers of Toronto’s Union Station. Also had private practice.
Civil engineer and land surveyor, Brockville.
(Hainesburg, VT, 21 August 1841– Ogdensburg, NY, 27 September 1893).
Architect, Ogdensburg, NY. Office: 68 Ford St., Gilbert Block, Ogdensburg (1876); home, 44 Morris St., Ogdensburg (1883). Designed many churches and private homes in Eastern Ontario as well as Northern New York State.
Architect, Brockville. Office, Metropolitan Block, over Kyle & Barr, 86 King St. W. (1884). Always known locally as “O.E. Liston”. Known to be in partnership with his son, Edward Liston.
Architect (b at Montréal 31 Dec 1867; d there 14 Nov 1923). He apprenticed in Boston with Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge, who won a competition (1891) for the new Montréal Board of Trade. Maxwell returned to Montréal to supervise construction, and the contacts he made with prominent members of the Board of Trade helped to assure his success. In 1892 jeweller Henry BIRKS hired him to design a new store facing Phillips Square - now one of the city's architectural ornaments. Maxwell also designed numerous CPR stations and hotels, including the major western terminal at Vancouver (1897). The country estate planned for Louis-Joseph FORGET at Senneville, Québec (1899), is a fine example of his residential work.
His younger brother William Sutherland Maxwell (b at Montréal 14 Nov 1874; d there 25 Mar 1952) became his partner in 1902. William had studied at the École des beaux-arts in Paris, and the beaux-arts style is reflected in the design and planning of the Maxwells' buildings at this time, eg, in the Royal Bank branch at WESTMOUNT (1903) and the CPR station at Winnipeg (1904). Their grandest and most memorable works - the SASKATCHEWAN LEGISLATIVE BUILDING at Regina (1908-11) and the Montreal Art Association Gallery (1911; now the Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal) - display a skill at planning and composition that ranks with the best beaux-arts designs of the period. Their final achievement was the St-Louis wing and tower block of the Château Frontenac Hotel at Québec City, which was completed in 1924, a year after Edward's death.
Although William continued to practise, his work consisted mainly of additions and alterations to buildings designed earlier by the firm. Without the support of his brother, he seemed unable to revive the high level of creativity that had kept their office at the front rank of the architectural profession in Canada.
(Belturbet, Co. Cavan, Ireland, ca 1779–1864)
Architect, Brockville. Educated and trained in Ireland. Settled at Brockville in 1825.
Architects, Kingston. Office, 382 King St. E. In succession to Power & Son*, Kingston. One of oldest continuous architectural practices in Canada.
(Port Hope, Ont., 1855–Toronto, 1933)
Architect, Toronto. Best known for collegiate architecture (e.g., buildings at University of Toronto, former Guelph Agricultural College).
Landscape architects, Brookline, Mass. John Charles Olmsted (1852–1920) and younger stepbrother Frederick Law Olmsted Jr. (1870–1957) were the most important landscape architects in US in early 20th century, in succession to father Frederick Law Olmsted Sr. (1822–1903), who among many other things designed Central Park in New York and Mount Royal Park in Montreal. Olmsteds designed only 16 private estates in Canada, and Fulford Place is only one with significant remains of its original layout and construction – one of the main reasons for its designation as a National Historic Site. Fulford Place for long was the only estate in Brockville designed by any landscape architect of significance.
Architects, Kingston, Ont. English-born architect John Power (1816–1882) arrived in Kingston in 1846. City Architect 1866–82. Founded firm Power & Son, in 1873, with son Joseph Power (1848–1925). One of Canada’s oldest continuous practices; now Mill & Ross*. Among many other projects in Kingston, Power and/or his sons designed Queen Street Methodist Church (1864), widened Sydenham Street Methodist Church (1887), designed St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church (1888), rebuilt St. George’s Cathedral (1889–90), rebuilt Cathedral again after fire (1899), and reconstructed dome of City Hall (1908). Firm was continued after John’s death by sons Joseph and Thomas Power (1859–1930).
Architects, Brockville. Office, 15 Court House Ave., Brockville (1961). In succession to Vincent Rother Associates (1956; Victor Prus, manager). Principals: Victor Prus and Ian Martin.
Victor Marius Prus, architect (b at Minsk Mazowiecki, Poland 24 Apr 1917). Prus was educated at Warsaw Technical University (1939). He served with the Polish forces in the Middle East and with the RAF during WWII and was twice awarded the Polish Cross of Valour. He studied at the University of Liverpool, taught and practised in London, and immigrated to Canada in 1952. After research with Buckminster Fuller at Princeton he set up practice in Canada. He became a fellow of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC) (1968), an academician of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts (1972) and was named an honorary fellow of the American Institute of Architects (1977)
With his wife Maria Fisz Prus (Hon. FAIA 1977) and various associates he has designed outstanding buildings that are characterized by an appropriate "ambience" - in his view the "ultimate objective" in architecture. His principal works include Rockland Shopping Centre, 1960 (Massey Medal), Savoie Apartment Bldg, 1962, Expo 67 Stadium (Citation 1967), Royal Canadian Air Force Memorial, Trenton (National Competition 1st prize 1969), Grande Théâtre de Québec and Conservatory of Music, Québec City (Competition 1st prize 1971), Canada/France Astronomical Observatory, Mauna Kea, Hawaii, 1977, International Airport, Barbados, 1979 and Palais de Congrés, Montréal (Competition 1st prize 1979).
No buildings identified at this time
(Durham, Eng., 1875–Montreal, 1951)
Architect, Montreal. Office, Room 903, New Birks Building, Montreal (1915). Studied in England and Ireland. Apprenticed to Sir Aston Webb, London, designer of the Victoria and Albert Museum, London, and one of the great architects of public buildings throughout the British Empire. Travelled extensively in Europe, recording cityscapes and especially town squares. Came to Canada 1907. Did more architectural rendering for other firms than architectural designs on his own. More or less gave up architecture and became one of the most distinguished etchers of his time, specializing in views of historic sites in Quebec.
Born in Sunderland, England, Raine was trained as an architect. He studied drawing to improve his architectural sketches. When he arrived in Canada (1907), Raine immediately got work as an architect in Montreal. Raine took up etching at the beginning of World War I, when there was very little work for architects. He was influenced by the work of French artist, Charles Meryon (1821-1868), best known for his etching series of Paris. Raine, inspired by Meryon, did his own series of etchings of Montreal. This series of etchings is recognized as an important historical record of Montreal and Quebec.
Education: Sunderland School of Art, Royal Academy, London
Professional Affiliations: Royal Canadian Academy of Arts, Canadian Society of Painter-Etchers and Engravers, Art Association of Montreal
(Toronto, January 17, 1910–Westport, Ont., October 11, 1983)
Architect, Westport, Ont. Grad. B.Arch., University of Toronto, 1933. Started practice in Westport in early 1940s.
Roberts designs numerous schools in the area
(Co. Wexford, Ireland, 1815–Brockville, 3 July 1888)
Master builder and architect, Brockville. Came to Canada in 1832, at age 17.
Architect, Montreal. B.Arch., McGill University. Practice: Ottawa, ON
Landscape architect, Montreal. Most important landscape architect in Canada in early 20th century. Born and educated in US. Began career in Olmsted office in 1896, and was firm’s roving plantation assistant in Canada, based on Montreal, 1898–1900. Set up own design practice in Montreal 1900. Submitted pioneering design for a "National Capital Region" for Ottawa/Hull in 1903, while working on Fulford Place. Once remarked, with some justice, that he knew the urban parks of Canada well because he himself had designed most of them.
Architect, civil engineer, politician (b at Garrarucum, Queen's County, Ire 1820; d at Toronto 24 Apr 1905).
Architect of prominent early institutional buildings in Ontario, he also served as councillor and alderman for the City of Toronto, was a founding member and officer of the (Royal) Canadian Institute, and a mason.
Tully immigrated to Canada in 1844, established a practice and, in 1868, was appointed architect and engineer of the Dept of Public Works of Ontario. Among his important works are the Customs House, Trinity Coll on Queen St, and the Bank of Montreal at Yonge and Front streets, all in Toronto, the Welland County Courthouse, asylums in London, Hamilton and Brockville, and engineering proposals for the Toronto and Georgian Bay Ship Canal and the Toronto Harbour Front and Railways.
Architect, Toronto. Office, 93 Parliament St.
Contractor and architect, Brockville. Among other projects in Brockville and Eastern Ontario, designed all stations on Ottawa & St. Lawrence Railway line. Possibly and even probably adapted model plans (bound or loose) available from commercial publishers.
Architect, Toronto. Had distinctive Art Deco/Art Moderne style. One of chief designers of Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto (1931).